QuickBooks Enterprise v. 17 was released this week, and many of my clients are asking me: “Should I upgrade?”
It is important to first note that if you are a current QuickBooks Pro/Premier user, there are a few important CORE features that make QuickBooks Enterprise a much more powerful system compared to its Pro and Premier counterparts:
- QuickBooks Enterprise has a database designed for larger data files, where you can surpass 250mb of a company file and still work securely. Additionally, there is no 14,500-list limit that Pro/Premier have.
- QuickBooks Enterprise was built to work within a network (multi-user system); therefore, it works faster and is more stable than Pro and Premier, when working with multiple, simultaneous users. Additionally, QuickBooks Enterprise can have 1 to 30 users, while Pro is limited to 3 users and Premier is limited to 5.
- Enterprise gives you the ability to set up roles and specific task-based user security access. Pro and Premier have a very limited user-permission scheme.
- QuickBooks Enterprise was built with windows terminal services (remote desktop) in mind, which means that it works great with multiple users connected to the same Windows Server, either locally or remotely.
- QuickBooks Enterprise can have up to 15 custom item fields and 12 custom name fields, whereas Pro and Premier are limited to 5 and 7. Additionally, the custom fields can be set with input specifications, and even drop down menus in enterprise.
- Search items within transactions, such as Purchase Orders and Invoices.
- Ability to add Advance Inventory and Advanced Pricing Features.
- QuickBooks Enterprise gives you the ability to have two companies open at the same time.
- With Enterprise, you can Consolidate reports from multiple QuickBooks files.
- There’s US-based technical support, and you can automatically upgrade to the latest versions available, with an active Full Service Plan or Annual Subscription
QuickBooks Enterprise 17 (2017) NEW FEATURES:
- Scheduled Reports: you can now schedule any memorize report(s) to be emailed automatically by QuickBooks
- Show Report filters: when customiizing a report, you can now see in real time which are the fiters being used in a report and can also print the list of used filters in a custom report
- Search as you type: now, as you are typing any word within an account, item, name, or class, QuickBooks will suggest them even if they are not on the very first characters
- In between amount search: before this feature, you could only search exact amounts or more/less than values!
- Filter by customer type and vendor type: from within the Customer Center and Vendor Centers, to help you search and organize larger lists by their type
- Multiple account/name/item/class selection improvement for reports: this fixed the ability to be able to exclude and also search within the list to find the list item you want to filter
- Show cleared tag on Credit Card Charges: this was heavily requested, to show “cleared” just like it does with checks
- Show pending undeposited fund items in homepage: this is great, you can see a number on the deposits icon letting you know that you got pending deposits
- Display Company name in deposit summaries: its a small fix for something that should have already been there, quite frankly.
- Multi-user to Single-User switching improvements: Users will now show a timer to let them know that Admin needs to use QB in single user and also how long are they going to be
- Copy/Pate Line in time sheets: this was introduced a few years ago in invoices and purchases orders, can really speed up the process
- Support of 4k (high-resolution) monitors: on previous versions, it renders unreadable text and icon sizes
- Show deleted users in Audit Trail: before, if you deleted a user, their name would not show in the audit trail; now it will!
Also, let us walk through some the exciting new features and improvements that are exclusive to QuickBooks Enterprise over the past 6 annual releases, since 2011
QuickBooks Enterprise 11 (2011)
- Multiple Inventory Locations: This is the first of the Advanced Inventory Add-on features, very necessary for companies with multiple warehouses.
- Balance Sheet by Class: this is also available in QuickBooks Premier/Accountant 2011, but is worth mentioning, because it has been a hugely requested feature for years!
QuickBooks Enterprise 12 (2012)
- FIFO Inventory Costing*: an alternative to the traditional average costing method
- Enhanced Inventory Receiving: separates the receiving process from the accounts payable process which is great to maintain the receipt date of inventory from the bill date separated
- Serial or Lot Number Tracking*: you can now track individual inventory items by serial number or by lot number
- Automatic Price Markup: you can configure the MARGIN or the MARKUP of an item to be fixed, and QuickBooks will automatically update the sales price if the cost changes
- Find and Select Items: very fast way to search for an item by name or description within a sales form, such as an Invoice
*Advanced Inventory Add-on required
QuickBooks Enterprise 13 (2013)
- All the new features from 2012, plus:
- Automatic PO: Ability to create a Purchase Order automatically to stock up to recommended levels.
- Default Classes: Ability to automatically assign a class in transactions to a Name (Customer/Vendor/Employee), item or Account
- Bin Location Tracking*: Inventory sub-locations within one location, allowing you to track inventory by bin number.
- Bar Code Scanning*: Basic functionality, allowing bar code scanning whenever selling or receiving inventory has been added.
*Advanced Inventory Add-on required
QuickBooks Enterprise 14 (2014)
- All the new features from 2013, plus:
- Sales Rep and Custom Fields in Vendor Transactions: Now, you can add a sales rep or custom field to checks, bills, purchase orders and credit card charges.
- New Contractor Reports: New true WIP Summary Report, with percentage of completion calculation and Committed Costs by Job Report, as well as calculated costs of open purchase orders and timesheets assigned to jobs.
- New Assembly Features for Manufacturers: Ability to automatically build assemblies with subassemblies, quickly remove or replace discontinued components in an assembly, and the option to auto calculate cost of assembly items, based on Bill of Materials.
- Added Min and Max reorder points: Instead of single reorder point, Auto PO feature suggests the quantity to order.
- Advanced Pricing*: Now adds Price Rules, which supersedes Price Levers, and also adds advanced pricing functionality, including expiring discounts, quantity discounts and package conditional pricing.
*Advanced Pricing Add-on required
QuickBooks Enterprise 15 (2015)
- All the new features from 2014, plus:
- Disallow Negative Quantity on Items: This is a HUGE feature. For the first time, you can disallow users to sell (invoice or sales receipt) items that have less quantity than the amount being sold.
- Accompanying Negative Item Listing Report: With all the items that are currently on negative quantity on hand, it’s great to catch inventory errors.
- Shortage Report: List of all items needed, in order to build an assembly that falls short and is marked as pending. Also, there’s an Inventory Shortage Detail Report with all pending builds and items required to be able to completed the assembly.
- Report Filter enhancements: ability to hide zero quantity on hand, and only show full assemblies on Inventory reports.
- Transaction Improvements: Subtotal on item quantities and custom fields, ability to sort by any column, print footer on last page only and alternate gray lines available when printing/PDF transactions.
- Cost available on Sales Forms: This includes Sales orders, Invoices, and Sales Receipts, previously only available on Estimates.
- Hide opening balances on items and names: Option to disallow users from putting in this information, when creating new item, customers or vendors.
- Disallow selling to overdue customers: Optional feature to prohibit users from creating invoices for customers that have at least one unpaid invoice that is aging beyond due date.
- Advanced Reporting: Fully customizable pivot-style advanced reporting within QuickBooks Enterprise.
QuickBooks Enterprise 16 (2016)
- All the new features from 2015, plus:
- Batch Delete / Void Transactions: now it is possible to delete checks, invoices, or bills in batch! Great for error correction
- All Accountant Tools are now available in QuickBooks Enterprise: Batch Enter Transactions, Batch Reclassify Transactions, Client Data Review, Write-off Invoices
- Bill Tracker: this is the counterpart to Income Tracker introduced in 2014, where you can view and organize all the Vendor related transactions: Purchase Orders, Bills, etc..
- Bulk Clear Send Forms: a fast way to clear all transactions marked to be “sent later”
- Auto Copy Ship-To Address: this is great for companies converting Sales Orders to Purchase orders with DROP SHIP
- This Fiscal Year-to-Last Month report filter: the most common date range used by QuickBooks users is now available in 2015
- Rebuild Data and Verify Data Updated: When you verify or rebuild the QuickBooks company file, the program generates a great report on what has been fixed, and what cannot be fixed.
- Custom Field Filtering on Item Reports: Finally you can use custom fields in inventory items as filters on reports. Great for creating Inventory categories without the need to use Subitmes!
- Label Printer Support: You can now print labels on single roll continuous labels, instead of being limited to regular printers only
- QuickBooks Statement Writer now works with Microsoft office 2013!
- Colum Sorting: on customer payment screen is now available
- Updated Advanced Reporting: now with more ready-to-use templates
- Enhanced Assembly Shortage Report: great report to pinpoint inventory issues during the assembly process
- E-Invoicing: has replaced the old IPN system, providing a more streamlined electronic payment process for Invoices
- Improved Subtotal Item: now you can multiply any numerical value (Amount, Price, or any Custom Field), useful for calculating total weight
As an Intuit Premier Reseller, I have a strong passion for QuickBooks Enterprise. Feel free to e-mail me any questions you may have about upgrading to QuickBooks Enterprise 2017, including promotional prices (if available):